Wednesday 14 November 2012

In the blink of an eye...

 Millie with her friend
Aidan in the early weeks 
I like babies, especially the teeny ones. You know, the type of babies that like lots of cuddles and require your undivided attention. So, as you can imagine, I revelled in the early days of motherhood, sleepless nights notwithstanding.
Millie and Aidan one year on

While the good husband and several of my new Mum friends were eagerly awaiting the early baby days to pass so they could enjoy the more interactive ‘doing stuff’ stage, I made the most of being the centre of Millie’s universe. So, it was with some considerable upset that I acknowledged my little bird had turned, seemingly overnight, into a toddler who most certainly knows her own mind and isn’t afraid to let you know it.

However, I didn’t grieve for long. The milky, hazy, baby days may have gone but so too has the frumpy clothing and matchsticks in the eyes (see above right). In its place I have been delighted to find that I now have a plethora of tremendous toddler fun to enjoy. With every passing day, my tiny marauder seems to add something new to her arsenal.

This week, I have especially enjoyed the following:
1.      Teasing. Mim brings forth one of her prized possessions, waits for me to try and take it, then cackles with glee as she scuttles away in the opposite direction (repeated several times in rapid succession for maximum hilarity). Minx.

2.     Monkey. This week, cuddly monkey has enjoyed buggy rides, been fed dinner and had a vigorous go on the swings, roundabout and slide at the local park. Her face lights up brighter than Vegas when she sees the little dude. It’s not a stretch to say that if monkey could bring her food he would usurp me entirely in her affections. He NEVER leaves her side.

3.      Theft. She steals my breakfast with absolutely no subtlety whatsoever. This was rendered slightly less humorous when she rather over zealously tried to grab my spoon with the inevitable result that I ended up wearing the contents of the bowl. Mim, incidentally, did not spill one drop on herself.

4.       Dancing. It never stops. See dance-along-a sound of music.

5.      Family. Freddie, Billy and Biddabell – she asks for her cousins on repeat. The day usually starts with a round of their names and a kiss for her picture of Bidabell. This week she stopped in her tracks in front of a poster of a little girl that shared a passing resemblance and pointed at it, shouting ‘Bidabell!’ rather excitedly at the top of her lungs. She’s even asked for her in her sleep. As for Freddie and Billy, there is nothing more heartwarming than watching them all play together. Well, for about five minutes until they start battling each other over sharing stuff.

As for my love of teeny babies? Well, as soon as the novelty of drinking wine again has worn off I’ll go and fetch the good husband from the cellar!

No comments:

Post a Comment