Tuesday 30 October 2012

Let sleeping babies lie...

The clocks have gone back. The nights are drawing in. The weather has taken a turn for the Arctic. This prompts two thoughts: 1, should you ever wake a sleeping baby? and 2, what do you do with them if you do?

Last year, Millie was just three months old when this monumental event heralded the onslaught of weeks and weeks of zombified sleep deprivation. One year on and the same event has sparked a period of slumber loving. It is epic by comparison (Shhh! Don't tell the sleep fairies, they'll take it away).

Just the other day, the good husband awoke with a start at 8.50am. Our alarm - that would be Millie - had failed to go off. Off Mik beetled to work, as I scurried into her room to check that she was still breathing. You see, anything beyond 6.30am is something of an event in our house. There she was, tucked up, happily snoozing. I left her to it. I'm not mental!

Given I didn't have to be in work (for this happened on a Thursday, when I am free from the shackles of press enquiries and branding brainstorms), I enjoyed a leisurely shower, gave the kitchen a once over and savoured a hot cup of tea without distraction or grabbing baby paws. Finally, at around 10am she woke up. Bright eyed, bushy tailed and ready to maraud.

This is where the second dilemma kicked in.

This Summer we've been living in the public parks, beer gardens (a little over frequently) and community farms of south Manchester. As the weather has deteriorated we've moved onto - and already exhausted - the library, the aquarium, babycinos at Costa Coffee and dancing around the living room. I know all the words to 'my pencil's out to get me' courtesy of hours spent at Head over Heels playcentre in Chorlton and I really can't spend any more time at the supermarket - Millie's favourite place - for fear people will suspect I'm stockpiling tinned goods for a nuclear holocaust... or the harvest festival. One or the other.

So, any suggestions for things to do on rainy days gratefully received. And no, they can't just include 'visits to Nanna and Grandad's house'!

No comments:

Post a Comment